How to get glowing skin according to the experts
Sophie Cullen gets the low down from skincare guru Megan Felton co-owner of Lion/ne Skincare Consultancy on everything you need to get your complexion aisle ready in six easy steps.
1) Start early The last thing you want to do is start a new skincare regime the month before your big day. We recommend getting into your new skincare regime four to six months prior to the big day, so that on the off chance your skin reacts to a product or your products are not doing enough, then you have plenty of time to make adjustments.
2) Don’t overdo it We have a lot of brides come in that are panicked after they went and bought all of the ‘brightening’ or ‘glow inducing’ ingredients they could find. As a result, their skin is overwhelmed and their barrier has become compromised.
3) Go back to basics It’s important to make sure that you are cleansing the skin properly. Using the wrong cleanser can over-strip the skin or lead to congestion. Hydrating is key as it helps to keep the skin supple and plump! Hyaluronic acid is a great ingredient to incorporate for hydration. Finally, protecting the skin is key no matter what skin type you have, as it will make sure that your skin is healthy not just on the big day, but beyond. Therefore, sunscreen and antioxidants should be used daily! Once you have these steps down, then you can start to add in more stimulating ingredients like gentle peels or chemical exfoliants.
4) Invest in PHAs (Poly-Hydroxy Acids), We know these sound a little scary, but trust us they’re not. They may also appear on a product’s ingredient list as gluconolactone, galactose, or lactobionic acid. PHAs are one of our favourite ingredients, they have been around for a while, but are currently having a moment in the spotlight for good reason. Their job is to gently exfoliate the skin, even skin texture, and provide antioxidant benefits. Unlike AHAs and BHAs, they are suitable for even the most sensitive skin.
5) Hydrate! Hydration is a huge factor when it comes to skin feeling and looking healthy. Finding a hydrating serum that is suited to your skin will help to keep skin looking plump. Some of our favourites are SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5, The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid, and Medik8 Hydr8 B5.
6) Treat yourself! Get a skincare regime with products that are suited to your skin needs with us (Lion/ne) and a facial treatment plan in place from a trusted aesthetician like Pamela Marshall (Mortar & Milk), Lisa Franklin (Lisa Franklin Clinic Privé Chelsea), or Abigail James (The Beaumont Hotel in Mayfair).
For a little added glow, check out our new favourite make-up must haves:
Hailed as the ‘the body make up that won’t budget’ by Beyonce’s make up artist, this spray-on-skin perfector transforms your limbs in an instant.
Add a little extra glow and luminosity with these cream highlighters. The rich velvety texture glides on leaving behind a soft focus finish. Oh and the best they work on all skintones.
This silky primer, serum hybrid offers you a little colour whilst providing ultimate hydration to the skin.
A perfect prep for make-up – this lightweight, instant-effect moisturiser hydrates, reduced pore size and imparts a subtle glow to the skin.
The clever clogs at Decleor have created the Green Mandarin Over Night Bi-Phase Peel combining the power of antioxidant-rich Green Mandarin Essential Oil
blended with glycolic acid and natural fruit acids to resurface your skin and give a vitamin glow in the mornings.
Skin all prepped? Use this priming oil before your foundation for a juicy glowing sheen. Taking a couple of drops, leave on your skin for two minutes to sink in then apply your foundation or tinted moisturiser and buff accordingly. Short on time? Add a couple of drops to your foundation. The antioxidant formula is a great all-rounder and helps to protect, hydrate and prep skin.